Cambridge Exam VS IELTS: What is the Difference & Which One is for You
If you want to study or work in an English speaking country then you need to score well in an English exam to show up your skills to the other nation. How will you get to know that which exam is for you- Cambridge exam or IELTS exam? Which exam will help you to achieve your goals? Which one is the best option? CAE or IELTS? Which exam will help you to get admission into the university you want to study? Nowadays, candidates are worried and doubtful about which exam they should actually apply. But you are here on the right site where you will get all the information regarding the CAE and IELTS examination. It does not matter how fluent speaker you are but if you are willing to study in an English speaking country but are from a nation that does not actually recognize English well then you need to appear for an exam to prove your English skills to the other nations. There are many differences in both the exams and all of them are listed below. The below differences will help you to decide that which exam you need to apply for.
- The main difference in both the exams is the validity of the certificate. IELTS exam (International English Language Testing system) gets expired after two years. Whereas on the other hand, CAE (Cambridge English Advanced) is an achievement for a lifetime.
- Students who are in hurry and need quick results to prefer IELTS EXAM as the result of this exam is published after 13 days of the test date. On the other hand, CAE exam results are published in 6 weeks after the test date. CAE exam is a long process but IELTS is mainly preferred because it provides results way earlier than CAE.
- Another option of choosing IELTS over CAE is that IELTS exam is conducted every few weeks. But CAE is only conducted for 4 times in a year. CAE is not convenient if a candidate needs to appear and clear an exam immediately.
- The preparation courses for both the exams are almost the same. Both the exams consist of speaking, listening, writing, and reading but CAE also consists of a grammar part named USE OF ENGLISH.
- CAE exam lasts for around 5 hours whereas the IELTS exam lasts for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- The speaking component in the CAE exam is done with an examiner and a partner whereas, in the speaking part of IELTS, it is taken between the student and the examiner.
- You cannot fail the IELTS exam as the result is declared with a band score from 1 to 9 but on the other hand, a candidate passes the CAE exam only if he/she scored 60%.
- Exam content differs in both the exams. IELTS exam has two categories: IELTS academic and IELTS general training. The general exam is focussed on general English whereas the academic exam is focussed on the use of academic English. CAE uses general English in its course.
- When it comes to getting scores, IELTS has a different way of giving marks. Their marks lie on a band range from 1 to 9 in which 1 is the lowest band score and 9 being the highest one. Various universities and workplaces have different band scores set. There is no ass or fail in the IELTS examination. You get your certificate printed with whatever band score you scored. It is but obvious that every band score refers to a level of English. So, you need to work hard in order to achieve a nice band score as different schools and universities have different band scores set for their candidates.
- CAE exam needs a pass percentage of 60 that means marks between 180 and 200 points. If you achieve 60% you will get a certificate of C1 level but if you score below than this, you will get a certificate of the exam but with B2 level.
- The Cambridge exams are assessed based on the pass or fail criterion whereas IELTS test scores are judged based on the band scores in which 1 is the lowest and 9 being the highest one.
- IELTS exam is more academic one and is best for those who are preparing to study in some good universities whereas is a bit tough for those candidates who are into the business already.
- There are different levels in the CAE EXAM that are KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE. Whereas there is only one test in IELTS which gives you scores ranging from 1 to 9.
BEST EXAM FOR YOU: If you are giving an exam for a specific job or for the admission in any specific university, you should work hard towards getting that one. If you are just required to get a certificate that judges your general English then CAE is the best option for you as the CAE exam is totally based upon general English.
With the above points, we have made clear that which exam you should actually choose for yourself. You should first clear yourself up with what you want to do, in which university or school you want to study. After deciding the same, you need to check whether the university accepts CAE or IELTS along with the minimum marks and band scores. No matter whatever scores the university asks for but in order to achieve that success, you have to work hard with the same whether it be CAE or an IELTS exam. Both the exams check your skills on the basis of speaking, listening, writing and reading. Many students try to do self-study but in order to achieve success in one attempt of the exam, you should go up for a course of IELTS or CAE which will help you to clear all your doubts and help you to perform well in the exam later.
So, do not worry students and work hard because hard work and patience is always the key to success.