How to Prepare for IELTS, TOEFL, & TOEIC Test
IELTS, TOEFL and TOEIC tests are the three famous tests that universities or different workplaces accept. All the three different tests are accepted differently and are for different purposes. These three tests are the most common tests of English. But candidates, before you go for any test preparation, you need to know about every single test in detail. In this article, we will let you know the purpose of all the three tests and how to do the preparations similarly. The three tests:
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)
In most of the cases, the choice of the students is clear for which test they want to go. These commonly used English tests are sufficiently objective to be used as a minimum qualification standard while evaluating the English language skills of many people.
Let us tell you in detail about the three exams listed above.
TOEFL: Test of English as a foreign language
Preparing for this test is not difficult. This TOEFL test is designed to check the English skills of the non-native candidates in order to check their writing, speaking, reading and listening abilities. This might have terrified you but do not worry as this test is used in daily life. TOEFL test is all about actually using the real English language in the daily based life. So, when you prepare for the TOEFL test then you are preparing yourself for the use of English in your daily basis life. But do not be lenient with this as you need to score good passing marks for this test. The two forms of this test are:
Internet-Based Test (IBT):
- Reading section: 60-80 minutes with 36-56 questions
- Listening section: 60-90 minutes with 34-51 questions
- Short break: 10 minutes
- Speaking section: 20 minutes with 6 tasks
- Writing section: 50 minutes with 2 essays
Paper-Based Test (PBT):
- Listening section: 30-40 minutes with 50 questions
- Writing section: 25 minutes with 40 questions
- Reading section: 55 minutes with 50 questions
- Essay test: 30 minutes and write one essay
You need to decide which format you want to choose to give the test. IBT is popular now and PBT is becoming less popular. Have an ideal minimum score in your mind in order to target that along with the purpose of choosing the TOEFL test.
If you are interested in doing self-study and then find some fabulous guides and starting preparing for the four sections listed above. Check yourself with a practice test first to check your capabilities.
If you are unable to study by yourself, go up for a TOEFL exam coaching. Hire a tutor. Still, find other teachers to help you with different ways. For the reading, writing and speaking part, start practicing with the English newspapers, news channels, novels, and other English stuff. For listening, start listening carefully to the English news and radios and respond to them. This will help you practice by yourself. This will help to improve your vocabulary. TOEFL test will help you in your daily life and prepare for the exam well in order to clear it in one attempt.
IELTS: International English Language Testing System
IELTS is one of the tests accepted worldwide in order to check the English language skills of the non-native English speakers. Different workplaces, universities, and schools have different IELTS scores set for the candidates. IELTS test is of two types:
IELTS GENERAL TRAINING
The listening, reading and writing tests are completed on the same day. The speaking part is completed a bit later. But the total test timing is 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Prepare yourself with different sections. Make a proper timetable with the strict strategy of the routine and targets of the syllabus to be completed per day or per week. Spend full time on each of the four sections as getting the low score in any of the section will affect your overall band score.
Hire an IELTS trainer if you are unable to study by yourself. Clear all the concepts with the trainer and do more and more self-assessments as possible. For listening, listen to English news channels or other informative channels in the English language in order to improve your listening skills and that for the speaking, writing and reading, go for the novels and newspapers on the daily basis to clear the preferred skills. Work hard in order to gain an overall high band score to clear the IELTS test in one attempt.
TOEIC: Test of English for International Communication
This test assesses a candidates English skills of how well are they doing in their daily life. The questions are from daily life situations or from the workplaces and the personal lives. Almost over 10000 organizations in more than 120 countries throughout the world accept TOEIC test. This test is used to check the candidate’s ability for how they communicate in the daily to daily based life. Standardized level of English with fluency and proper vocabulary of the candidate is always appreciated.
The TOEIC test consists of the listening and reading part and the paper and pencil test takes almost over 2 hours.
The listening test consists of 4 parts:
- Part 1: Participants are shown with 17 photos and they need to answer 4 multiple choice questions based on each picture.
- Part 2: Participants are made to listen to 30 questions and then to 3 answers for every question. They are allowed to choose the only correct answer.
- Part 3: Participants listen to 10 short conversations each consisting of three questions. For each and every question, the student will have to choose the answer that suits in the best way to what they have listened.
- Part 4: Participants are made to listen to 10 short talks with three questions. For each and every question, the student will have to choose the correct possible answer that suits best to what they have actually listened.
The Reading test consists of 3 parts:
- Part 5: Incomplete sentences. Each sentence consists of the missing word or phrase. The student is offered with the four options in order to choose to complete the missing part
- Part 6: Error recognition. Participants are shown with passages that consist 4 underlined parts. They will have to choose the one that is wrong.
- Part 7: Comprehension. In this part, participants are meant to read three passages, each with 4 multiple choice questions.
The TOEIC scores go from 10 and 990. So, prepare with the guides of TOEIC test available in the market or hire a tutor for the same in order to crack the exam in the first attempt.
However, all the three exams need hard work, patience, and enough caliber to prepare each section in-depth. Hard work always pays off.